Student Finance

Supporting Students

General FAQ

When should I apply for Financial Aid?

If you are receiving Cal Grant, you should complete your financial aid application process before March 2. For all other students, the sooner you apply the better, as some financial aid is given on a first-come-first-serve basis. We recommend completing the process by March 31.

I probably don't qualify for financial aid. Should I apply anyway?

Yes! Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid when they do. In addition, there are a few sources of financial aid that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA is free, so it's worth trying. (

How do I apply for financial aid?

Fill out your FAFSA and talk to your financial counselor.

If I have applied for admission to PUC, do I still need to apply for financial aid?

Yes. Applying for admission and applying for financial aid are two separate processes.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?


Do I need a Social Security number to apply for financial aid?

  • You must have a Social Security number to be eligible for federal financial aid. If you submit a FAFSA without a SSN, your FAFSA will be returned unprocessed.
  • If you do not have a Social Security number, you can still apply for financial aid through Pacific Union College.

What happens if I decide to attend part-time?

Your financial aid may be reduced or canceled in order to comply with regulations or eligibility requirements. If you are considering taking less than 12 credits, please contact your financial counselor.

Can I receive financial aid from two different colleges at the same time?

No. If you have questions about your situation, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Where does financial aid come from?

Financial aid is made up of loans, grants and scholarships. The main sources are federal and state governments, Pacific Union College, private lenders and outside scholarships.

How will I know how much financial aid I qualify for?

Much financial aid is based on the results of your FAFSA. If PUC is requested to verify your FAFSA, we will need a copy of both student and parent W-2s and IRS Tax Return Transcripts. A free copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript can be ordered at or (800) 908-9946.

An award letter detailing the types and amounts of financial aid you qualify for will be mailed to you. You must sign your award letter and any other required financial aid documents before the financial aid can be put into your student account.

I received an outside scholarship. What should I do?

If you are receiving any special scholarship that isn't listed on your financial aid award letter, you should contact your financial counselor.

Where can I find outside scholarships?

You can search for scholarships online, stop by the Student Financial Services office, or check out our information on Scholarships.

What's the difference between federal direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

With a subsidized loan, the government defers the interest for as long as you are enrolled at least half time. There is no payment required until six months after graduating or dropping below half time. An unsubsidized loan accrues interest immediately. You will receive a statement from the Federal government stating the interest charged. You will have the option of making payments on the interest or deferring.

Are my parents responsible for my student loans?

In general, you are responsible for repaying your student loans. However, parents are responsible for federal Parent PLUS loans. They are only responsible for private loans if they are a co-signer on your student loan that is in default.

When do I need to start repaying my loans?

You will need to start repaying your federal loans six months after you leave school or drop below 6 credits. The Perkins and Collegiate loans give you a nine-month grace period before repayment begins. Learn more information about loan repayment.

I have a financial restriction. What does that mean?

You might have a financial restriction for a number of reasons, most likely involving a balance due on your student account or required documents that you need to sign. If you have a financial restriction, contact Student Finance (707) 965-7200 or to see what needs to be done to get the restriction lifted.

When is the payment for my tuition due?

Tuition and any other charges are due on the 15th of every month. The first payment for the school year is due September 15.

Are my textbooks included in my tuition?

No, textbooks are not included in tuition. You can charge your books to your student ID card at the PUC bookstore, however you will need to repay this amount by the next school bill.

Will I receive a bill or statement of my account?

Yes. Once you set up your PUC e-mail address, your bill will be e-mailed to you each month. A physical bill will also be mailed to one of your parents each month. The bills are typically e-mailed/mailed out the 25th of each month. You can also access your account statement by logging in to flashlight.

How can I change where my bill is mailed to?

You change your billing address by calling (707) 965-7200.

Can my bill be e-mailed to my parents?

Yes. You can give permission for your statement to be e-mailed to your parent/parents by adding their e-mail addresses to the fields next to their names in flashlight.

How can I pay my bill?

There are many options for you to pay your school bill. You may mail in a check, pay online, or pay over the phone (707) 965-7530 (Visa, Mastercard, Discover card, American Express or by e-check). We also accept money orders and wire transfers.

Is there a discount if I pay my tuition in full?

Yes. If you pay your tuition in full for the year or quarter, you will receive a 2% discount. In order to receive this discount, you must pay in full for the year by September 15, or each quarter by September 15, December 15, and March 15.

How can I purchase books and supplies?

You are able to purchase textbooks and school supplies at the college bookstore by using your PUC ID and charging the items to your student account.

I am receiving more financial aid than the cost of attendance. Can I get a refund?

Yes. Your financial aid is posted to your student account approximately the third week of each quarter. Once there is a credit on your account, you may request a refund check by contacting your financial counselor. Refund checks are issued on Fridays. You can request to pick up your check in the finance office or to have it mailed to your home address.