Aetna Student Health Insurance
All students are required to carry their own medical insurance while attending Pacific Union College. Your plan must cover emergent and non-emergent off-campus medical and mental health care in the Napa Valley. If you do not currently carry insurance or your plan is not adequate, the college has arranged with the Aetna insurance company to offer students the Aetna Student Health plan at a very affordable cost. As a convenience to you, PUC has agreed to assist students with the cost of this plan by allowing reimbursement through your student account in three equal installments billed once a quarter.
“Whether or not you have existing health insurance you are required to go to www.aetnastudenthealth.com/puc to complete the waiver process or enroll in the Aetna Student Health plan. To successfully complete this requirement, you must be enrolled with us, taking six or more units, and are accessing their website during the correct timeframe (30 days prior to 2 weeks after instruction begins)*.
For more details please go to www.puc.edu/healthservices (707) 965-6339 or call Aetna customer service at (877) 480-4161 8:30am-5:30pm EST. To view the Aetna Student Health plan details please go to https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com. It is no longer necessary to submit a copy of your existing insurance in lieu of the above requirement.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL STUDENTS (REGARDLESS OF WHAT QUARTER YOU BEGAN ATTENDING) ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE ABOVE PROCESS EVERY FALL QUARTER.
The Aetna Student Health plan is automatically purchased for you. You do not need to complete the above requirement. To view your health plan and/or print your medical ID card, please go to https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/puc.
If you plan to carry your own existing insurance, please contact your carrier to verify coverage for intercollegiate sport-related injuries. In cases where there is no coverage for sport-related injuries you can either find an adequate plan or enroll in the Aetna Student Health plan. In either case, you are also required to complete the above process.
Steps to waive/enroll
Every fall, all students must waive out or enroll in the Aetna student health insurance plan.
PUC cannot complete the following process for you. If you fail to complete this requirement, the Aetna insurance company will automatically be given your name and you will be charged for the Aetna student health plan. PUC does not have any control over the Aetna student health plan and cannot reverse charges once the deadline has passed.
- Go to aetnastudenthealth.com.
- Enter “Pacific Union College” in the search bar, then click on the “Waive or Enroll” link.
- In the “Student Information” box, select “Domestic” (all international students will have a plan already purchased for them).
- In the “Secure Login” box, enter your 7-digit PUC ID number and your date of birth in the MM/DD/YYYY format.
- Click the “Get Started” button (if you cannot proceed, either you have not completed your registration with the college OR your name has not yet been sent to Aetna. In this case, please wait 24 hours and try again).
- Click “Waive” OR “Enroll.”
- If you are enrolling in the Aetna student health insurance plan, there will be several prompts for you to follow. Once completed, you can print your ID insurance card from their website homepage.
- If you are waiving out, answer the five questions (listed below) about your existing plan.* If you are unsure about any question listed, it is your responsibility to contact your carrier.
- Enter your existing plan information found on your insurance ID card in the correct boxes.
- Be sure to read and click the box for “Terms and Conditions.”
- When complete, click the “Continue” button on the right side of the screen.
If you see “waiver accepted,” you are finished and your confirmation number will be a popup on the last page. Please save this page as proof of waiver. (They will also be sending you an email with the same information to your PUC email address within 2-3 days). You are not being audited for non-eligibility once your waiver has been accepted.
If you make a mistake, contact Aetna at (877) 480-4161 (8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST) as they will allow for a one-time reentry of your insurance information.
*Students with an existing plan must meet the following criteria:
- My plan is approved by the Affordable Care Act
- My plan is a United States company with a billing office in the U.S.
- My plan has a deductible no higher than $2,000.00 OR has a health savings account
- My plan will be active for the remainder of the academic school year
- My plan covers all non-emergent care in the Napa Valley
We encourage you to read the information provided at the Aetna student health insurance website and take the time to make an informed decision regarding your health coverage. If you have questions regarding the Aetna student health insurance for PUC students, please contact their customer service at (877) 480-4161.
*Failure to complete this requirement will automatically create an Aetna subscriber account for the student. This is a non-cancellation policy with Aetna and cannot be reversed for any reason unless the student no longer attends PUC or the plan ends (August 31 of every year). The charge for this policy will be added to the student’s college account and will become the financial responsibility of the individual.