Student Life

Parents FAQ

Student Life offers move-in assistance and airport shuttle service for PUC students both to and from the Oakland and San Francisco International Airports. The airport shuttle service is available for students on Wednesday and Sunday before instruction begins, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring vacation, and after finals at yearend. *Shuttle service is not available either at the beginning or at the end of the school year in and out of Sacramento.

New Student Orientation Guide has gone mobile!

We're excited to announce we have a brand new mobile guide for you to use on Guidebook! Get the guide to access the most up-to-date information about our event, including schedules, maps, and much more.

Download our guide

Android and iOS users:

  1. Tap the "Download" button to download the free Guidebook app
  2. Open Guidebook and you can find our "New Student Guide" guide
  3. Tap "Enter passphrase" and enter newpioneers2017 to download our guide


My son or daughter did well in high school. Why are they struggling in college?
Even students who have done exceptionally well in high school find college work challenging. Students spend less time in class and more time in preparation. College professors demand much more, and course material is covered at a faster pace. Good note-taking and study habits are essential.

What are the biggest academic adjustments during the freshman year?
Learning to discipline oneself and manage time are critical adjustments. College classes may meet only every other day, or once a week, but the workload does not diminish. It is suggested that the student spend two hours of studying for every one hour in class, balanced with study breaks. Students should know to seek help for academic difficulties.

How can a student get help if they're struggling with academics or a certain class?
If a student is struggling in a class, they should schedule an office meeting with the professor. They can discuss challenges, note-taking and test-preparation methods, and tutoring possibilities. The professor can help the student decide if they should continue or drop the class. If the student continues, he/she should attend every class session. If the student drops the class, he/she must complete a form at the Records Office by the drop deadline to receive a grade of "W."

For all academic challenges, the Teaching and Learning Center offers individual and group tutoring, advising for undeclared majors, academic mentoring, study skills courses, and disabilities support services. Contact the TLC at (707) 965-7688 or for more information.

Be sure your student meets with their academic advisor and student finance counselor before making any changes to their class schedule. Withdrawing from a course may have a significant impact on your student’s financial aid for current and future quarters.

Why don't parents receive a copy of mid-term and final grades?
In maintaining student records, PUC complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, which prohibits the college from releasing information (including grades) about a student without the student's written permission. Students can sign the Your Right to Privacy form to grant access to their grades. Students should bring the “consent to release grades to parents” form to Academic Administration. This allows PUC staff to discuss grades and student information with parents. See FERPA Privacy Laws for more information. If students would like their parents to receive their grades by mail, then then can sign the Request to Mail Grades to Parents form. Students should bring this form to Records.

What services are available for career planning?
Encourage your student to visit the Career and Counseling Center their freshman year and each year thereafter. The Center will discuss career options, self-assessment, values, skills, interests, goals and job-seeking strategies. Job search, interview, and résumé workshops are held throughout the school year. Additionally, a Career Day featuring various employment consultants is held annually.

Does PUC offer a program for studying abroad?
PUC is a member of Adventist Colleges Abroad (ACA), a consortium of colleges and universities operated by the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This gives qualified students the opportunity for international study while completing the requirements of their programs. Campuses are in Argentina, Austria, Brazil, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Israel, Lebanon, Spain, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom. An ACA information session will be held during New Student Orientation.

What does PUC offer for students with learning disabilities?
PUC's Teaching and Learning Center offers students with diagnosed learning disabilities access to accommodations and support that will improve their college experience. Students with learning disabilities may be seen by counselors who help determine the appropriate resources needed. See Disabilities Support Services for more information.

Student Life

Is the meal plan required if a student lives on campus?
The Dining Commons is operated on the cafeteria plan. Students living in the residence hall are charged a non-refundable minimum board. Any amount that is spent over the minimum board for the quarter is billed to a student's account at the end of the quarter.

What should students bring for the residence hall room?
New students should have completed the online residence hall reservation form and paid the enrollment fee before arriving to campus. Suggested items: mattress cover, bed linens, desk lamp, wastebasket, small vacuum, cell phone (Verizon offers strongest signal), telephone, earphones, iron, airtight food storage containers, room decor to reflect a Christian atmosphere, cleaning supplies, microwave, mini refrigerator (four cubic feet or less), circuit breaker power strip and computer. See Residence Hall 101 for more information.

Can students stay in the residence halls over quarter breaks?
Winning Hall (for women) and Newton Hall (for men) are open during quarter breaks. Only students who must stay on campus for work or dean-approved reasons may stay.

What if my son or daughter experiences roommate problems?
If issues cannot be resolved between roommates, the student should contact the resident assistant assigned to their hall or the dean of their residence hall.

How can my son or daughter get involved in campus activities?
PUC has student clubs and organizations, the Student Association, intramurals and Pioneers sports, and Office of Service, Justice and Missions service opportunities that are open to all students.

What should my son or daughter do if they get sick?
If at all possible it is recommended that the student come to the health services clinic during business hours to be assessed. Accessing care outside the clinic without authorization from the health services clinic may become the financial responsibility of the student. If a student is ill for a day or two they should contact their instructors to make arrangements for missing assignments. Any illnesses lasting longer than two or three days should be assessed by our providers. If their illness occurs after-hours or over the weekend one of our nursing staff is available by calling (707) 965-6789. Remember that this advice line is to be used only in cases that may warrant a higher level of care and cannot wait until regular business hours. All dorms have a first aid kit at their front desk and students are allowed to take a small amount of supplies until the clinic is open. The clinic has medical providers (MD/PA) every morning by appointment. The nearest hospital is 10 minutes from the PUC campus. Please visit Health Services to see what services we offer.

What is there to do off campus?
From hiking and biking to sightseeing and shopping, the Napa Valley, Bay Area and Gold Rush Country offer premier culinary, cultural and recreational experiences. For a glimpse into opportunities, see Area Dining & Entertainment. The Student Association provides students both on and off campus events nearly every weekend throughout the school year. Students need to watch for “This Weekend” emails.


Why choose a Christian college?
Objective facts will be similar at any school; what makes all the difference is the perspective from which facts are viewed. At PUC we explore the sciences, humanities, arts, and religion from a Christian faith base. We don't sidestep the difficult issues, and each student is urged to carve out their own understanding; but the context in which we educate is Christian and distinctly Seventh-day Adventist. See Spiritual Life.

What help is available if a student has spiritual needs or concerns?
Small groups, worships, clubs, church, and service and outreach opportunities give students spiritual experience and support with peers and community members. For individual spiritual concerns, students are always welcome to contact the campus chaplain at (707) 965-7190 or the pastors of the PUC Church at (707) 965-7297.


How can we get financial aid?
Student Financial Services provides all the information you'll need, including details about applying for financial aid.

Are there computers and internet connections on campus?
Wireless networking is available in all residence halls, academic buildings, and most administrative building. The residence hall rooms also have two wire network connections, which can be more reliable and faster. Students purchasing a new computer should choose one that has both wireless and a standard 10/100/1000 network adapter built in. For other computer and technology suggestions, see Information Technology's information for prospective students. Students have access to computers at the library, business administration, computer science, math, chemistry, and psychology and social work departments.

How do students find jobs?
Students can check out Student Employment or visit the Financial Services office for current on- and off-campus job openings. In order to obtain a student employment authorization form for PUC, students must complete the W-4, the I-9, and the PUC student employment form. Find out more at student employment general information.

What are the dates for vacations?
The listing of all major academic dates can be found on the academic calendar.

What is the mailing address for students?
All incoming mail and packages are received by PUC's mail room and must be addressed as follows:

Student's name
Residence hall and room number
Pacific Union College
One Angwin Avenue
Angwin CA 94508

Is there more information for parents?
All parents of new students are encouraged to attend parent orientation and enjoy a special meal with the president at the beginning of the school year. An additional parent session from PUC's career counselor will be held following parent orientation.