Telecommunications Policies and Guidelines
Pacific Union College (PUC) has strict policies and guidelines regarding the use of the Telephone System, including phones on campus and in PUC owned businesses. Misuse of the phone system will result in the following actions:
- A processing fee of at least $125.00 will be assessed, plus the amount of the bill incurred
- Notices will be sent to the Dean of Men/Women, and Student Finance-informing them of the misuse
- Unpaid balances will hold clearance for release of records, and may also be given to a collection agency
The following statements are definitions of telephone misuse:
- Accepting a collect call- PUC has blocked collect calls from currently known carriers but a collect call can mistakenly get through. Some long distance carriers do not attempt to notify you that a call is coming in collect; you must ask the operator and if the call is a collect call, DO NOT ACCEPT the call. It is your responsibility to monitor all incoming calls to assure that a collect call is not accepted by ANYONE answering your phone.
- Use of a personal security code (PSC) other than the one assigned to you by the Information Technology Department is STRICTLY forbidden. It is a FEDERAL FELONY to fraudulently bill calls to a number other than the one assigned to you. It is also fraud to misuse (i.e. to use for personal calls), the personal security code that is given to you by a PUC employer for work purposes. You are responsible for ALL calls made with your own personal security code - keep it as secure as you would a credit card number.
- Use of any 900 dialing service, including 976 and "roll-overs" from 800 numbers. Some 800 numbers and other area code calls convert (roll over) to 900 after dialed. It is your responsibility to be aware of the types of calls that might cause this problem.
- Tampering with any telephone wiring in a dorm room or college building – Please notify ITSS Telecommunications Dept. for any needed changes to any telephone system wiring.
- Billing a calling card, toll-free voicemail or other calling service, using any PUC phone number, including a dormitory room number. Third party calling services, 800 number and off campus voice mail service companies will sometimes illegally try to sell you a calling card or service billed to your dorm phone number. You may use a calling card from any source other than one billed to a PUC owned number. PUC owns all phone numbers on campus, including dormitory rooms and College owned businesses. The college owned numbers are blocked from this activity, but some companies still try to make a sale without regard of the consequences to you. You MUST NOT agree to these offers and notify Information Technology System and Services, (ITSS), immediately so that we can pursue action against the company. You must not initiate any of these services yourself, either.
- Transferring a call to or from any PUC phone extension in an effort to avoid toll charges.
Information Technology does monitor the telephone system for fraudulent calls, then persues accordingly anyone who misuses the telephone service owned by Pacific Union College. Your cooperation will help you avoid any financial holds on your transcripts, processing fees, collection services and negative credit rating, as well as any resulting embarrassments.
Results of Misuse
Minor infractions of the policy, when accidental, or unintended, will generally be resolved informally by the Information Technology Systems and Services management. Repeated minor infractions or serious misconduct may result in the loss of system access. Additionally, any misuse may be prosecuted under applicable laws. Users may also be held accountable under applicable College policies. Any offense which violates local, state, or federal laws may result in the immediate loss of college computing resource privileges and will be referred to appropriate College offices or law enforcement authorities.
By my use of any PUC computing facilities, I agree to abide by the stated guidelines and policies.