Cleaning and Maintaining your computer from spyware
Spyware Removal Instructions
(*NOTE: PUC ITSS is not responsible for problems that result or appear to result from following these instructions.)
ITSS Recommended Protection and Removal Software
(Note: PUC campus users can download the ITSS preferred software from http://downloads.puc.edu under the Spyware link)
- Microsoft Security Essentials - Real-time protection. Free Download
- CCleaner - Removes temporary files and unused items. Free Download
- Malwarebytes - Detection and Removal of Malware.Free Download
Much of the malware that is out there can easily be avoided by following a few easy guidelines:
- Use Anti-Virus or Internet Security tools and keep them updated. Many of them monitor what is comming through your connection and will stop malicious software so you dont have to!
- Be wary of where site's and emails are sending you. Many sites and emails can look identical to a legitimate company or person but will actually be attempting to infect your machine! (Learn more about Phishing.)
- Avoid downloading stolen, copywritten or pirated materials. Many of these downloads will entice you with cracked software or media in order to infect your machine.
- Pay Close attention when installing any 'free' software. Even the good programs sometimes try to install tag-along software you don't want or need!