The pre-dental program is the course of study for students who plan to enter the dentistry field. PUC has a reputation for its excellent pre-dentistry program and very high acceptance rates to dental school for its graduates.
- There are more than 161,000 active dentists in the U.S. today.
- According to a Gallup Poll, dentistry is the second most respected profession in America. Dentists were rated high in terms of honesty and ethical standards.
- Amost all dentists are in private practice.
- A USA Today survey reported that more adults were satisfied with services received from dentists than from any other profession.
- Dental offices were the third highest ranking category of start-up businesses most likely to survive.
- Today, 100 million people have dental benefit plans. Private dental insurance accounted for 44.4 percent of the nation's expenditures for dental care.
- Among dentists out of dental school less than four years, about 42 percent own their own practice; by six years after graduation, this figure increases to 53 percent.
- About 88 percent of all dentists practice less than 40 hours a week, seeing an average of 83 patients per week.
- The total applicant pool has increased sharply in recent years (Loma Linda University had 1997 applicants for 93 spots in freshman class of 2008).