The pre-dental program is the course of study for students who plan to enter the dentistry field. PUC has a reputation for its excellent pre-dentistry program and very high acceptance rates to dental school for its graduates.
- There were 195,722 dentists working in dentistry (dentists using their dental degree in some fashion) in the US. in 2015.
- Dentists rank #2 in the 2016 U.S. News and World Report’s”The 100 Best Jobs.” Orthodontists rank #1!
- Dentists were named No. 5 for their honesty and ethical standards in a 2012 Gallup Poll.
- Fewer than 85% of dentists now own their own practice (as sole proprietor or partner) and increasing numbers of dentists work in a dental service organization practice or are employees in other types of practices. For more details, read Garcia, R.I. 2014. The restructuring of dental practice. JADA 145(10):1008-1010.
- In 2014, general dentists saw an average of 65 patients per week. In 1990, this same group saw about 77 patients per week. ADA Statistics.
- A USA Today survey reported that more adults were satisfied with services received from dentists than from any other profession.
- On average, general practice dentists worked 32 hours per week and specialists 33 hours per week in 2014. In 1990, general practice dentists worked an average of 35 hours per week.
- By the end of 2014, there were approximately 205 million Americans (64% percent of the population) with dental benefits.
- In 2014, 52.3% of adults reported that they had visited the dentist every six months the last few years, 15.4% reported once per year, and 11.0% reported once every two to three years. More than one in five (21.3%) said that they had not visited the dentist in the last few years.