The visual arts encompass a variety of art forms that are created for visual experience, such as in painting, sculpture, photography, graphic design and film. On the surface, the visual arts appear to be a method of personal expression fueled solely by aesthetic values. However, art has long served as not only visual decoration, but also as a record of history, a reflection of culture, and a social commentary of the times.
Today, the visual arts continue to be an exciting vehicle for individual expression and communication. Along with more traditional forms, visual art has expanded to include mediums that emerged from technological advancements, such as photography, film and television, and graphic design. The visual arts have also grown to offer a variety of rewarding careers.
The Pacific Union College Department of Visual Arts has a comprehensive program that gives students a good balance between a strong major emphasis and an excellent liberal arts background. This provides the student with a broad base of knowledge to draw from–an important key to success. In fact, many PUC students select a major in visual arts to balance or enhance other career goals from dentistry to religion.
- Educational opportunities are enhanced by some of the best cultural advantages and natural beauty of any college in America. PUC's proximity to the Napa Valley and San Francisco allows students to experience the art exhibitions and cultural events that occur continually in the area.
- The visual arts department goes on several trips every year to visit museums in the San Francisco Bay area including the SF Museum of Modern Art, the de Young Museum, & the Palace of Legion of Honor.
- Students have won national awards including a film and television student who won first place in the National Geographic PSA contest.
- Our film students have interned at Dreamworks, Sofia and Francis Ford Coppola's American Zoetrope, & HBO.
- The Rasmussen Art Gallery at PUC presents a variety of art exhibitions each year. These include historically significant art, new contemporary works and shows by PUC faculty and students.
- The photography program goes on a biannual trip to the Yucatan Peninsula during Spring Break.
Pacific Union College
One Angwin Avenue
Angwin, CA 94508
Phone: (707) 965-6604
Fax: (707) 965-6300
Contact Department »
- Filmmaker Jon Shenk and Alumnus Craig Hickerson Present for Green Week PUC celebrated Green Week 2013 through various on-campus activities. Events included a fashion show featuring upcycled clothing, a “design your own” Green Week t-shirt, and a demonstration on gardening...
- PUC Film Instructor Wins $10,000 from SONscreen Film Festival Pitchfest
Rajeev Sigamoney, director of the film and television program at Pacific Union College, was the winner of the eleventh annual SONscreen Film Festival's Pitchfest, April 5. He received $10,000 for his proposed "Decalogue 2.0" mini-series
- Academy Students Learn, LLA Tops Award List at Publication Workshop
One-hundred eighty students from 23 Adventist academies visited PUC for the 2012 Publication Workshop on Wednesday and Thursday, learning writing, photography, and design techniques from college professors and working publication professionals.
- New Faculty Boost Film and Television Program
The department of visual arts welcomes two new
faculty members with extensive industry experience, providing a boost to
Pacific Union College’s film and television program. The department is also
welcoming a new instructor of photography.
- PUC Unveils Bachelor of Fine Arts and Biomathematics Programs In the fall, the department of visual arts will begin offering aspiring artists a new bachelor of fine arts while the department of mathematics is spearheading a new interdisciplinary biomathematics major for students interested in both mathematics and biology.