This department’s focus on languages and cultures as well as study abroad experiences equips students to become active participants in the global community. Majors are offered in Spanish Studies, and Language & Culture Studies with six language emphases (Arabic, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish), with minors in these languages as well.
As the United States is increasingly interconnected with other countries through commerce and global agreements, it simultaneously becomes more diverse within its own borders. For these reasons, it's increasingly important for career-bound graduates to know at least one language other than English. The department of world languages & cultures fosters cultural learning along with the grammar and vocabulary of each language.
Students broaden their communication skills in ways that are in even more demand in an interdependent, multicultural world. The department’s goal is to provide effective opportunities for the development of both linguistic and cultural proficiency. Students learn to speak the language, appreciate the culture, and understand the native speaker’s perspective. In the process, they become “cultural brokers”–facilitators of comprehension across cultures as they serve in a broad range of professional fields.
- The modern languages department is among the most diverse on campus, with faculty members who are from and/or have lived in many countries outside the United States.
- Through Adventist Colleges Abroad, students have the opportunity to spend time learning languages in the countries where they are spoken, including places such as Spain, France, Germany, Italy, England, and Argentina.
- The majority of Spanish majors participate in a full year of study abroad, which for most is a life-changing experience and the best out of their entire undergraduate experience.
- Graduates from the department of world languages & cultures have obtained employment in state government, education, business, medicine, and many other fields where their language skills and cultural knowledge are a tremendous asset. Many of them participate in mission trips as they practice in their fields.
World Languages & Cultures
Pacific Union College
One Angwin Avenue
Angwin, CA 94508
Phone: (707) 965-6500
Fax: (707) 965-6573
Contact Department »
- PUC Partners with Brazil Adventist University This year Pacific
Union College launched a partnership with Brazil Adventist University (UNASP). Discussion
began last spring, when UNASP president José Martini suggested the partnership
to PUC president Heather Knight, initially with the main objective of UNASP
students learning English.
- Spanish for Health Care Professionals This winter,
Pacific Union College is offering "Spanish for Health Care
Professionals," an introductory course focused on communication in Spanish for EMT and
other health service professionals.
- Mandarin Language Course Offered at PUC Pacific Union College is once again offering language studies in Mandarin Chinese.