The Pacific Union College Department of History has as its primary goal a desire to help the student develop clear thinking about human events, and the ability to weigh conflicting claims presented by a study of history or political science. The student has the opportunity to compare and contrast values of different time periods. The department's courses are designed not just to teach about politics and wars, but to teach the values and attitudes of humanity from the time of ancient Sumer, Egypt, and China, to our present civilization.
The history department's professors hope to teach students to use reason and analytical thinking in interpreting themes from the past and to develop an understanding for the many divergent views which are introduced.
- The history department has two endowed scholarships: the Walter C. Utt chair in history and the Bashir Hasso chair in Middle East Studies. These chairs make possible significant curriculum enrichment.
- PUC's chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the history honors society, offers entrance based on scholarship. Students meet regularly to hear noteworthy speakers and discuss topics related to history. Scholarships are available through the society.
- Summer one and two-week seminars enrich education opportunities.
- The Department of History also sponsors and runs Eventorum - PUC’s online journal of current events at eventorumpuc.org.
Pacific Union College
One Angwin Avenue
Angwin, CA 94508
Phone: (707) 965-6405
Fax: (707) 965-7634
Contact Department »
- PUC History Major Wins International Essay Contest Senior history major Erika Weidemann grew up listening to her grandmother’s
stories of her childhood as a German refugee in Europe. During her junior year at PUC, Weidemann,
a dedicated scholarship-hunter, ran across an essay contest sponsored by the
Germans from Russia Heritage Society.
- History Students Visit Eastern Europe Perched above the Danube River on a Hungarian bridge barely
a week after spring quarter finals had concluded, 20 PUC history students were
back in class. Their 10-day tour of Eastern Europe, coordinated by the PUC
history department, spanned Budapest, Hungary; Slovakia; Krakow, Poland; and
Prague, Czech Republic.
- South Pacific Exploration for History Majors
Most students would jump at
the chance to travel to Australia and New Zealand and call it academic credit.
PUC students had just that opportunity when the department of history offered
its biannual summer study tour June 25 to July 7.
- History Department Introduces New Political Studies Degree Starting in fall 2012, Pacific Union College will begin offering students a new degree: History, Political Studies, and Ethics.
- Alumna Wins Emmys for TV Episodes When Pacific Union College alumna Patricia Thio began work on two particular documentary episodes for a TV program, she knew the stories were powerful—but she didn’t know the national and international recognition they’d bring.